Friday, October 05, 2007

A Wedding Revisited

We recently attended a wedding for two young adults that we greatly admire. We knew going in to the wedding that the colors were almost the same as ours - ours black and white/theirs black and ivory. But the night was full of moments that had me catching my breath and whispering to my husband things like, "Calla lilys!" and "Look at the monogrammed mints!" Yes, in some aspects it was our wedding revisited - and updated by twenty years.

Their pastor did an incredible job during the ceremony. He said all the things I believe about marriage summed up and presented in a beautiful package. He even did an awesome job of keeping the ceremony going when the bride was about to lose her composure during the vows - he quipped, "Yes, sometimes that poorer part is a little hard to take!" The bride and everyone laughed and she was able to continue looking as stunning as she did at the beginning of the ceremony.

About a week later I was still thinking how wonderful it was and remembering how wonderful our ceremony was also. I remembered our pastor's words to us about the three C's, but couldn't exactly come up with the words. So, I drug out the video, dusted it off, found a VCR in our house that was still actually in use, and sat down for a trip down memory lane.

First let me introduce you to our pastor. This is what he wore to the rehearsal: jeans, t-shirt, flip flops, and he did not bother to tuck his rat tail in his collar. Believe it or not, my Grandmother was impressed - not the uptight Baptist preacher she had prepared herself to meet.

His words to us were wise and everyone commented on them at the time. Twenty years later they still speak volumes in our relationship.

Companionship: we must choose to be lifelong friends.

Communication: the key to making the relationship work.

Commitment: what keeps us going through this entire journey together.

Twenty years ago I was deeply, passionately, completely in love with my husband. Today, somehow, I am even more deeply, passionately, completely in love with my husband. It is still the same, yet it is so different.

I cannot wait to see what is in store for us over the next twenty years.

Always and forever.

simple faith

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?