Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It's not just me

I have always rationalized that she must exist out there somewhere - someone even more obsessed with pumpkins than I. But I had not yet encountered her, until yesterday anyways.

It was finally a cool morning and the temperatures were to be in the low 80's. This day was to be a far cry from the past few weeks where our temps have hovered around 90 and the coolness of a fall morning has not been found. I ventured to the plant place and picked up a mum and some dianthus. I know it is also time to plant pansies and decorative cabbage, but I can't bring myself to pull up my impatients and geraniums - they are truly stunning right now. Well, the impatients are a little limp on this cool morning . . . but, anyhow . . .

My next stop is a grocery store which always has a great price on pumpkins. Mind you, this is my "basic pumpkin" buying trip. I walk in and forego the basket to check out the selection. After carefully examining the many pumpkins, I decide there are a few that will work. I return to the entrance to fetch a basket.

By the time I have returned to the produce section with the basket, she is there. Her basket already holds several large pumpkins. She sees me eyeing the pumpkins and the conversation begins.

"That one is a good one. No, that one right there. You should get that pumpkin."

I am a bit taken back. Nobody has ever invaded my pumpkin shopping.

I try to be kind. "I had some others picked out."

She is undeterred. She has spotted the pie pumpkins. She snatches one up and declares it perfect - for me, not her! I again decline - perhaps a bit on the defiant side - it did have a cute stem and shape.

I try to distance myself from her. She has moved to the basket of turban squash. I saw it coming, but hoped I would be gone by the time it happened. The turban squash are 49 cents a pound, not 49 cents a piece.

By the time I have picked out my big orange pumpkins and have moved to the pie pumpkins, squash and gourds I notice the turban squash basket is empty except for one lonely squash. She has made it to the checkout stand with her basket full.

I suddenly decide I am in desperate need of cookies as I dash down an aisle to avoid a confrontation with her that will lead to a discussion of the squash pricing - she is on her way back to the bin with a worker it tow.

I am done shopping and she is still at the checkout stand. I duck into another lane, but observe her closely. She tries to choose just one turban squash. It is impossible. She takes them all. She has been kind to the workers, realizing her misunderstanding of the sign.

I feel her pain. But for the record, she is more pumpkin obsessed than I am!

Of course today I am off to the produce stand to splurge on the specialty pumpkins - blue, green, Cinderella, and boo!

I should probably check my cash supply before going. It is best to never write a check that can be directly traced to the cost of my pumpkin obsession!!!

simple faith

Labels:


Comments:
That woman sounds like a control freak. I should know because it takes one to know one.

I would love to se a picture of your pumpkin arrangement. I've only bought 2 pumpkins so far and the girls picked those out.
 
Some folks hunt fabric. Others hunt pumpkins! Don't you love the feeling you get while on the hunt? Enjoy your pumpkins. I know I enjoy looking at them as I drive by.

Q
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?